Cliff Gardner

Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Book reviews!

Book reviews!
I just finished my 80th book in Ukraine (although about 25 of them have been read in the past three months since my computer stopped playing DVD's), and here's my top 5:
1) In Cold Blood. In the running for best book I've ever read. Amazing. I can't believe I hadn't read it until now.
2) Lenin's Tomb. This book was the most eye-opening about the former Soviet Union I've ever read. A must-read for anyone at all interested in this part of the world.
3) Under the Banner of Heaven. A great read about Fundamentalist Mormons and the LDS church in general, with a fantastic debate in the back between the author and an LDS representative.
4) East of Eden. Steinbeck is great, as always. I remember loving Of Mice and Men but wishing it were about 600 pages longer. Well, this is it: Steinbeck at his best and by the barrell.
5) Theodore Rex. A terrific biography (# 2 in a trilogy) about Teddy. I couldn't put it down. If you like Presidential Bio's, this is for you."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home