Cliff Gardner

Saturday, November 22, 2008

First thoughts back

I've been back for four days now. Some things I've enjoyed:

--watching the Blazers beat the shit out of the Bulls and Kings on TV (with a game against Phoenix tonight!)
--watching an entire season of Nip/Tuck as well as several movies that I missed while away
--going shoe shopping and spending time with my sister
--driving a car at alarming speeds (everything moves slower in Ukraine)
--running without dogs chasing me
--no trash everywhere
--spending time with mom and dad and enjoying some American home cooking!
--taking hot showers whenever I want
--drinking tap water without worrying that I'll get a stomach parasite
--how nice store clerks and people on the street are

Some things I've not enjoyed:

--people calling it THE Ukraine instead of Ukraine; people in THE America can be so stubborn
--narrowly missing out on meeting the new PCV at my old school, Michael McCovern
--running after 18 months off--OUCH!
--not speaking Russian
--people being able to understand what I'm saying about them in English
--missing my students
--missing long talks about the former Soviet Union with my host grandmother
--not having a job
--how I have an urge to eavesdrop on conversations in English (so, everything)

I'm sure they'll be more stuff to add to this list later. If you're reading this and you're in the northwest, CALL ME (503-707-6384) and we'll get together!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home