Cliff Gardner

Wednesday, September 28, 2005

I am a shark!

Parking on college campuses is, with few exceptions, a nightmare, and one that I was only vaguely aware of until I recently became a car owner for the first time. Pacific University is no exception, with two lots reserved for students far away from campus, and a really long street that allows parking only in two hour increments.

But there's hope.

There's a very small "staff only" lot with no time constraints across the street from my office behind a cinnamon roll store (sooo good!). In it, there are 16 spaces, 12 of which are reserved for university higher-ups, like the President, VP, highest alumni donor, etc. In addition to those spaces, there are four others that are open to any faculty or staff member. I've figured out that if I show up to work around lunchtime, people leave their space when they go get food, and I can swoop in and steal it. I call this process "sharking" a space because I wait for someone to show weakness, i.e. leave to get food, and I take advantage. OK, maybe there's a better analogy, but the point is that I've got a kick ass parking space every day this week!

5 Comments:

  • i think the moral of this story is: Pacific needs more parking lots.... they should build a garage

    By Blogger Miss B, at 3:10 PM  

  • Ha, ha. That is diabolically clever, Tom. And thanks for the birthday wishes. You, too, perhaps may be "awesome." Think about it.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:17 PM  

  • That's that Willamette critical thinking, being your friend once again! :-)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:02 PM  

  • Your so close Tom! Why don't you leave a little early and take a nice walk or ride your bike, thus avoiding the whole parking issue all together ;o)

    Just a thought :oD

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:53 PM  

  • Sharking- v. following a walker to their car to take their space from them as they leave. Given such an analogy due to the sound effect people make as they follow said walker to their vehicle. (du, duh..du...duh...du, duh, du, duh, duh, daaaaaaa...duh, da, da, da....da, duh.)

    example- "I sharked the pedestrian all the way down the aisle of the parking lot."

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home