Cliff Gardner

Monday, September 26, 2005

Am I the only one who finds this offensive?

I just saw a commercial for the Army where a teenager eagerly says to his mother, "good news, I've found someone to pay for me to go to college!" His mother rolls her eays and after listing some of the great things the Army has to offer, he says, "besides...it's time for me to be the man." This is offensive on multiple levels which I assume are so obvious that me venting about them here isn't needed. It's just good to know that the Army is still the bastion of gender progress that it's always been. On a sidenote--I think everyone joining the armed forces should see "Jarhead" before they sign up. Something tells me Sam Mendes is going to make the same point I'm trying to make in this post but in a much more powerful way.

3 Comments:

  • I like the one where the father and son are talking, and the father tells his son that he's proud because the son (who recently joined the Army) shook his hand and looked him in the eyes—which he's never done before. Advertising!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:26 PM  

  • You're so sexy when you talk about gender construction!

    -Mandy

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:53 PM  

  • I hate to essentialize and dichotomize, but the military seems to be one of those last remaining "male bastions" of sexism; rhetoric like this reminds me that the fight for equality and freedom for EVERYONE to define what their life should be is far from over.

    And, on another note, we are having a cocktail party here in Portland sometime in October, and I so want for you and Mandy to come that I want to postpone setting a date until I know when would work for you two. From our perspective, Saturdays are best. But, please email me or whatever. I'd love to see you, Thomas...and meet Mandy too, for God's sake! :-)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home