Cliff Gardner

Thursday, July 13, 2006

Scoreboard!

Me: 1, Cingular: 0

I have this recurring feud with my cell phone provider…well, it’s less of a feud and more of a me-kicking-their-ass-festival. See, if a phone conversation lasts 1:02, I am charged for two minutes, and I think this evil auto-mechanic, mean-lawyer, billable hour type tactic is just messed up. So, I try to limit phone conversations to late into one minute or late into the next. Ideally, a phone call will last in the 50’s of any given minute, and I’ve gotten pretty good at it. That sound you’re hearing is Cingular panhandling on the street. Spare some change? Um, NO! Go to the corporation soup kitchen around the corner.

Debate: 1, Me: 0

Tomorrow I’m leaving for the Willamette debate camp tournament. It will likely be my last taste of competitive debate for over two years and I’m kind of sad about that. I mean, I have been doing debate pretty much non-stop for the last nine years, so walking away for good this time is tough.

Me Running: 1, The United States: 0

My new Peace Corps friend Laura blogged about this site that allows you to enter your running miles (and/or cycling, if you’re into that sort of thing) and chart you trek across the country. I started in Virginia and after entering my runs from this year alone, now I’m almost in Kentucky! While I’m there, I think I’ll visit some friends.

The Internet: 1, Every Other Way to Meet People: 0

This one was easy, the internet it pitching a perfect game here. Thanks to the fine example set by Amy, I put an add on craigslist a few weeks back and Liz, the source of my newfound happiness, replied (along with a few men and a high priced call-girl who charges more for a night than I will make all summer). At first I was kind of scared that Liz would turn out to be a psycho who would kill me and sell my organs on the black market for a new pair of heals, but those fears quickly faded the more I got to enjoy her wit, hilarious stories and amazing smile. Take THAT, everything not-the-internet!

3 Comments:

  • Just think about it, when you go to Ukraine you won't have to count anymore.

    By Blogger truax, at 8:38 PM  

  • Stick it to the Man.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:57 AM  

  • Hey Thomas,

    This is Annie Brown (from Willamette). I randomly stumbled upon your blog recently, and I now occasionally read it. Anyway, speaking of debate, do you know what Kyle Hunsicker is up to these days? He just crossed my mind, and I realized I didn't know. Please comment either here or on my blog. Many thanks.

    By Blogger Maida Vale Ranger, at 1:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home