Cliff Gardner

Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Catching up

"Someone Who Will Watch Over Me," by Frank McGinnis, is one of the most terrible duo's ever. Two guys from Sam Barlow did that duo my junior year of high school and edged David and I out at the National Qualifying Tournament and at state because, well, we had a terrible, overdone, "high school in Oregon" piece that our coach was too incompetent to wave off, so we wasted our abilities on the interpretive equivalent of an athlete saying, "you've got to just take it one day at a time," in a post-game news conference. But I digress.

In this particular piece, two British guys are imprisoned somewhere and they think about all the stuff they want to do and all the things they want to eat when they get out. In Ukraine I frequently made lists like that in my head--I think we all did--and here's my partial list:

--See lots of movies: CHECK. I've rented and watched "Hard Candy," "The Queen," "Indiana Jones 4," "Before the Devil Knows You're Dead," the entire fourth season of "Nip/Tuck," and "Lions for Lambs." "Before the Devil..." is by far the best. If you haven't seen this, GO RENT IT RIGHT NOW.

--Go to a movie theatre: NOPE. I haven't gotten out to one yet, largely because nothing in the theatres interests me...but I will go soon.

--Go to a Taco Bell: NOPE. This one really surprises me. In Ukraine I thought about Taco Bell a lot, at least 3-4 times a week, so if you would have told me I would have been home for a week and NOT gone to one, I wouldn't have believed it. I really have no excuse. I'll go.

--Watch the Portland Trailblazers on TV-- CHECK. I watched my boys beat up on Sacramento (twice) and Chicago, and David and I are going to see the Heat game tomorrow. I'm SOOO excited!

--Get new shoes: CHECK...kind of. I got some new Doc Martin's the day after I got back, but they're being shipped to me.

--Start running again: CHECK...and...NOPE. I ran the first two days after I got back, but then I decided to bow to popular opinion and stop running because I look better the way I am. The consensus is that I look MUCH healthier since I've put on about 20 pounds during my Peace Corps service. As a Peace Corps employee told me before I left, "You have become a man in this country!" I'll be healthier and yet slightly let in shape if that's the case, so pass the fries.

This list is longer and I promise to keep updating it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home