Cliff Gardner

Saturday, October 01, 2005

Cursive sucks!

Mandy and I took the LSAT this morning, and we both feel pretty good about it. We'll know how we did in three weeks.

While I was filling out the boat-load of preliminary bubbles before the exam, I also had to copy and sign this little section that basically said that I am who I say I am and that I won't cheat or anything during the exam. As I was writing it, the proctor came over and told me that I needed to "stop printing and write it," meaning that she wanted me to copy the statement in cursive handwriting. I replied, "Uhhh...sorry, this is how I write." She left me alone after that.

This brings up an interesting point--how many of you write in cursive? I remember in the third grade it was "required" to write in cursive. My teacher Mrs. Truax told me that in the fourth grade, I wouldn't be able to print anymore and that only work in cursive would be accepted. Then, when I got to the fourth grade, no one cared how I wrote as long as it was legible, which for me was a battle in and of itself. I felt like running back down the hall to the current batch of third graders being harassed into writing in an archaic fashion and shout to them, "it's a damn lie! Write however you want!" Until today, no one had ever asked me to write in cursive. So, it took 14 years, but Mrs. Truax was finally vindicated in demanding that I write in cursive...sort of.

5 Comments:

  • I was told that cursive was the correct way to write, and that every adult did it, and it alone.

    Yeah right - I don't know a soul who writes in cursive, because it takes longer and no one can read it (even yourself) when your done. The only cursive I write is my signature.

    Damn the man.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:19 PM  

  • I write in my own hybrid of cursive and printing. It's mostly cursive, however, print creeps in ocassionally. It's faster for me and I was the only person in my entire pol sci 202 class who's handwriting was legible according to my prof. It's a lost art I say. Cursive can be so beautiful if we just put the time and effort into making it that way.

    On the other hand, I was told the same thing in elementary school and then got to middle school and found out it didn't matter. Maybe I was just born to go against the grain in many things...

    By Blogger Miss B, at 9:34 PM  

  • I remember that section from the SAT...it was like trying to write with my feet. Does an "m" have 3 humps or 4?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:33 AM  

  • I ONLY write in cursive. When I have to print, I do so in all caps. I've been writing cursive since the 2nd grade and just...never stopped I guess. Good work on the LSAT! I knew you could do it! You are lucky to get your score so soon. I'm still waiting on my MCAT scores and I took the test a month ago. It takes them 60 days!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:38 AM  

  • I had to learn to write in cursive in second grade, as far as I remember. I still do, but when I'm worried about legibility, since many don't read cursive that well, I'll print. It really makes no sense to me to demand cursive--most likely it's just a relic from the good ole days of sexist, imperialist education systems. :-D

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home