Cliff Gardner

Sunday, December 11, 2005

This one goes out to all the stressed 1L's

Right about now, several friends of mine are taking their law school finals. A lot is at stake; the first semester grades are the most important, so how well they do on these exams will have very real implications for their future jobs. In the midst of all of that pressure, I imagine it's easy to forget why they got themselves into this academic battle royal in the first place. So, with that in mind, I thought I would offer my reasons for wanting to be a lawyer as I apply for law schools this week. Hopefully it will help my friends reflect on their reasons for wanting to be attorneys and ease a little of the stress of finals, or at least serve as a needed distraction! I want to be a lawyer because:

--Lawyer jokes would be more entertaining.

-I know I would be good at it. Seriously, what other job would allow me to write and speak for a living? Besides, I don't run well enough or play poker with the needed degree of skill to go pro, so it's either this or telemarketing and I don't have the patience.

--I would love it. See above.

--I've been looking for an excuse to drink caffeine again.

--I could help people. I honestly don't know what type of law I want to practice, but I'm pretty sure that I'll want to work in some sort of public interest area and that I could do more with a law degree than without one.

--John Grisham novels would more interesting.

2 Comments:

  • That's not really how it works, man. You go to law school, maybe you enjoy it and maybe you don't. But lawyer jokes pretty much stay the same (though people are less likely to tell them to you) and any TV show that has to do with the law becomes really fakey. Law & Order used to be a great show. I can hardly watch anymore....Really to bad. I miss Sam Waterston.

    By Blogger Your Friendly Neighborhood Clark Bar, at 12:48 PM  

  • Good luck to everyone taking finals... And you keep do-gooding! :)
    Kim

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home