Cliff Gardner

Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Who let the dogs out?! No, seriously.

First let me say that it's not as bad as it sounds. Really. Try to keep that in mind. OK, here it goes: Yesterday morning on my way to school I was attacked by a pack of wild dogs, bitten and scratched, and exposed to rabies. At the insistence of Peace Corps Medical Officers, I got on a train last night to come to Kyiv to get vaccination injections, only blocks away from some of the largest protests in the history of the Ukraine. Normally the policy of PCMO's is to watch the offending dog for ten days to see if it, you know, has rabies, but since there were six of them and between the barking and snapping, I couldn't really tell which one actually bit the back of my leg, that wasn't really an option. I should say that it's really just one small scratch and I'm not really in any pain at all, but still, it's certainly better to be safe than sorry about this stuff. To be honest, it was more scary than anything since I've never really been much of a dog person. I might just have to start carrying my numchucks with me from now on!

8 Comments:

  • Your new nickname:

    Old Yeller. ;o)

    Glad you're okay, T-Bone.

    By Blogger Your Friendly Neighborhood Clark Bar, at 6:19 AM  

  • Maybe the dogs were protesting, too - like how they don't like obese teachers from the U.S. - so they singled you out.

    By Blogger magic, and with love from Sam,, at 7:13 AM  

  • Carry pepper spray with you, its one of the best defenses against dogs - AND its humane (i.e. its stops them without any long term damage to them)

    By Blogger Unknown, at 4:34 PM  

  • Please keep me posted on the developments! I am hoping and praying you aren't rabid!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:31 PM  

  • I hope you beat the hell out of those stupid Ukrainian dogs.

    By Blogger Matt, at 7:24 PM  

  • That is pretty ridiculous. I mean, I have some ridiculous stories, but you may take the cake this week for ridiculous.

    By Blogger T-Funny, at 1:18 PM  

  • eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek! Try to stay as safe as you can!

    By Blogger Q, La, and Gooner, at 10:20 AM  

  • damn!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home