Cliff Gardner

Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Q-U-A-R-A-N-T-I-N-E

So, my school is under quarantine. Don't worry, it's not as bad as it sounds, though I did act like Howard Hughes at the beginning of "The Aviator" when they first told me. See, Ukrainian school districts (usually towns) have a policy of cancelling classes if more than a certain percentage (I think it's around 25%) of students are absent because of illness. It actually happens quite often during cold and flu season--every other volunteer from my training cluster has already had one week off because of this policy--so I sort of figured it was going to happen sooner or later. Yesterday it was announced that classes would be cancelled until MARCH 5TH, so everyone has plenty of time to get better. When my class was told about the almost two week break, it was like Mardi Gras/Christmas/A Soccer Riot in my room for a good five minutes. I tried to explain to them that in America, you pretty much go to school unless you're just too sick to get out of bed, and even if half the school is gone, classes still happen and it's their loss for being all sick and stuff. This sort of horrified everyone so I just told them to "get better, my little buddies" and that made them happy. Oh, and if you're worried about my health, don't--I feel fine thanks to the two dozen immunizations and various flu shots I got from the fine folks at the Peace Corps Medical Office before moving to my site. Unfortunately, I might just be the only one in Ochakiv who can say that. Oh well. Vacation! :-)

5 Comments:

  • Enjoy your week off! It is especially nice if you aren't one of the sick ones causing school to be cancelled. What a nice break, though, if you aren't sick! Glad to see things are going well for you!

    By Blogger Kourtney, at 3:31 AM  

  • What a great policy.
    Does it also apply if 25% of the students are tired? If so, I'm all in.

    By Blogger magic, and with love from Sam,, at 7:56 AM  

  • What a great idea!
    Does that happen with work too?

    By Blogger KrayonKel, at 10:52 PM  

  • Man, it's like a free ride- paid vacation. I wish I had something like that.

    By Blogger T-Funny, at 1:56 PM  

  • That's awesome! What are you going to do with your unexpected time off - a visit to Jess in the works?

    I hope all is well!

    By Blogger Unknown, at 6:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home