Cliff Gardner

Thursday, April 17, 2008

I'm not taking it anymore

It's Spring! That means +20 degree temperatures (I'm loving Celsius) and the sun staying out until 7:30 (instead of 3:30). The one downside of this is that the courtyard between my apartment building and the next one has become a giant bird sanctuary again. The chorus of chirps and other loud, high-pitched, alarm-like noises usually begins when the sun comes up around 5:00 AM and continues to shriek at me until whenever I can't take it any more and get up (usually around6:30). However, I'm not taking this lying down anymore.

Last year when I was bitten by some dogs, my family sent me a package that included, among other things, the movie "Cujo," doggie treats, and a spray bottle with instructions to fill half with bleach and half with water and to "aim for the eyes." I thought that was cruel, but the bottle did get some use last Saturday morning when I snapped at 5 AM and started spraying water at them from my balcony until they flew away. Good times. Not only was it fun, but it worked! They haven't come back since. I win! Also, David and Amy are awesome because they sent me really greatpackages. They win too!

4 Comments:

  • There wasn't a scattering of dead birds below your window, was there?

    I had a really obnoxious bird chirping this morning at around 6am (at least that is when I noticed it) but rather than chirping it was squawking, and it sort of sounded like it was squawking "vote!"

    Also, I envy your 20c weather - it just dumped down about 5 inches of snow here yesterday evening - guess spring is over already and we're back to winter in Alaska...

    By Blogger Melissa Leeanne, at 11:38 AM  

  • Okay - I just realized that I sound crazy or that we have really politically active birds... Mind you, this was 6am so my mind wasn't at its peak.

    By Blogger Melissa Leeanne, at 11:39 AM  

  • a statue of an owl or other predatory creature placed around outside (maybe on your balcony) would probably do much more for your sanity than a squirt bottle

    By Blogger pril, at 1:02 PM  

  • If any of your birds just so happen to fly into your glass door and die, I will play my recorder at the funeral.

    - - - - -

    Attention everybody. This will only take a second of your time. Today at 4 p.m. we will be meeting in the parking lot to have a funeral service for this bird.

    By Blogger magic, and with love from Sam,, at 10:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home