Cliff Gardner

Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Books!

I've read 35 books since I've come to Ukraine, not counting the National Geographic Movie Version of Guns, Germs and Steel and the audio version of Obama's The Audacity of Hope , and I thought I would summarize at least my most recent reads. The last five books I've read are:

--Lenin's Tomb by David Remnick. This book is AMAZING and I highly recommend it to anyone who wants a thorough account of the last few years of the Soviet Union.

--Brainiac by Ken Jennings. Ken Jen was my desktop background during the Summer that he was on Jeopardy, so it's no surprise that I would love his book on trivia--a very easy and interesting read.

--Me Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris. A hilarious book, and a great read for anyone who's struggled with a foreign language while living abroad, though it's less of a novel as it is a loosely connected series of short stories. Still, really funny.

--Theodore Rex by some great author I can't remember. This book got me hooked on Presidential Biographies--it was really, really good. It's also the 2nd in a 3-part series on Teddy--the first, The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt , won the Pulitzer Prize, and I'm going to try and get a copy of it when it comes out. Also, if any of you have a copy of The Reagan Diaries, send it my way, I want to read it.

--The Joy Luck Club by Amy Tan. Mock me if you want. Go ahead. I still liked it.

Now I'm reading A Thousand Splendid Suns by the author of Kite Runner and so far it's amazingly depressing but very well written. I should finish it in the next week, and then I'm going to start in on the thousand-page epic, Roots, that my folks sent me. I feel like I should read that one if only becuase I love Lavar Burton and "Reading Rainbow" was my favorite show growing up. Butterfly in the skyyyyyy!

5 Comments:

  • If you get a chance at "Water for Elephants" -- grab it. It is amazing!

    Generally, I'm glad to see you are having a good experience!

    By Blogger Inside the Philosophy Factory, at 12:23 AM  

  • I feel like I am very far behind on my reading. I will look into this more when I can settle down and actually have a library again. Maybe I will send you some good reads and diversify a little. You need books about China.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:11 AM  

  • I just finished a great book of short stories by Richard Lange - called Dead Boys - but don't let that scare you away.

    Thanks for the list. You're so smart.

    By Blogger magic, and with love from Sam,, at 10:39 PM  

  • Thomas, it looks like we'll have a basketball team by the time you get back. Like the glory days! I can't wait to go to a game with you next year.

    Missed seeing you at christmas. Hope yours was a happy one. Maybe I can call you in the next day or two?

    Love,
    David

    By Blogger dave, at 11:42 AM  

  • LONDON!!!!!!!!!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home