Cliff Gardner

Monday, January 30, 2006

How I used one problem to combat another and stay alive

At 3:45 in the morning, we arrived in Salem after driving all the way back from Bellingham, Washington when the final Willamette team got eliminated (Sam and Sean, in Semi’s). However, I still had another hour and fifteen minute drive ahead of me because I had to drive back to Forest Grove. Now I know what you’re thinking, because it is exactly what everyone in the van and my parents told me last night: “drive home at 4 a.m. in the pouring rain after a 22 hour day and no sleep the night before? Are you nuts?”

Well, it wasn’t that everyone was wrong, just that I knew something they didn’t. See, anyone who has spent a night around me knows that I get up to pee like a racehorse every four hours or so. I probably aught to get that checked out, but my philosophy on matters of health is to ignore them for as long as possible until the symptoms get so unbearable that they can’t be ignored. What could go wrong? Anyway, when we stopped for dinner I had a lot of water, so I already had to pee badly before we even got to Salem, and it was that urgency that kept me conscious and focused on the drive back to Fo Gro. I got in at 5 and sleep in my comfy bed, and it was glorious.

7 Comments:

  • I do the same thing!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:53 PM  

  • I'm glad you're alive.

    Urgency rules.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:39 PM  

  • It's being hydrated. You're fine.

    Or is it rationalization? I never know...

    Either way, you're fine, right?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:32 PM  

  • That is normal for girls but the sign of something potentially serious for guys. Maybe a little too personal but a serious question that you should consider: when was the last time you got your prostate examined?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:26 AM  

  • A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:14 AM  

  • I'm glad you're alive, that's for sure!!! I actualy have that same tendency to ignore health problems till it's way too late... I'm paying for that now.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:44 AM  

  • Try combatting an avalanche that went through a necessary pass between Seattle and Spokane that is necessary for you to get back to Montana...then we'll talk. ;)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home