Cliff Gardner

Thursday, June 29, 2006

Oh crap, I'm going to have to learn the metric system, aren't I?

I realized yesterday that Ukraine, like the rest of the world, uses the metric system. I thought I new at least one unit given my former addiction to 20 ounce bottles of Pepsi, but according to Sam, it turns out that ounces don't count and aren't part of the metric system at all. Sheesh! This whole "living in another country" deal is going to be harder than I thought. On the plus side, at least my parents didn't refuse to vaccinate me for a disease that causes a deadly cancer.

8 Comments:

  • I think you'd be alright either way. As long as you make sure you have regular screenings for HPV, Thomas, you should have a relatively low risk of cervical cancer.

    By Blogger Your Friendly Neighborhood Clark Bar, at 4:39 PM  

  • The metric system actually makes a lot more sense than our system. It's very simple, and you'll probably be more annoyed with our system when you get back than you will be transitioning into the metric system. :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:08 PM  

  • If you can move a decimal point...you'll be fine.

    By Blogger truax, at 6:57 PM  

  • I have a hard time with the weather reports in metric countries... I forget what range is hot and what is cold in celsius...

    By Blogger Inside the Philosophy Factory, at 10:14 PM  

  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    By Blogger magic, and with love from Sam,, at 11:07 PM  

  • I wonder if you'll be as fat in kilograms as you are in pounds.

    By Blogger magic, and with love from Sam,, at 7:39 AM  

  • I hate damn republicans... anyhoo, good luck with all the metric conversions.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:58 AM  

  • I have long favored metric-even as early as 1975, when I heard that the USA will be switching to metric. In 1983, my chest, waist, etc. went metric. In 1993 my weight went metric. I was fully prepared for the resultimg numbers.
    I have read somewhere how the switch to metric can boost our egos, with bust and penis size more than doubled, weight reduced by more than half, speed limits increased by 60%. This is not completely true. The numbers themselves may be correct, but the units are different.

    By Blogger Thomas, at 4:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home