Cliff Gardner

Monday, September 11, 2006

King Triton: father of the year

I think Ariel’s dad in The Little Mermaid was a pretty damn good father. As a child, I remember being horrified when Triton used his magical golden pitchfork to destroy all of Ariel’s stuff, but looking back on it, I’m pretty sure that she got off easy.

Pretend for a second that you were in Triton’s shoes/fins. Also, imagine that this whole situation had taken place on land. Your only daughter is seriously obsessed with fish. She spends pretty much all of her time imaging what it would be like to swim around, talking with her weird friends about how amazing fish are and singing songs about how badly she wants to dive in and be with them, if only for a day. You put up with this bizarre behavior for a while only to find her secret stash of fishbone necklaces, fish drawings, fish perfume and a giant stuffed dolphin. Most parents would want to smash her stuff and I don’t think Triton was out of line in trying to convince her to straighten up and fly right.

Of course, that emotionally abusive outburst likely only added to the eventual therapy Ariel needed, but still, I sympathize with where Triton was coming from.

5 Comments:

  • I have to agree with Flounder on this one; "It's better down where it's wette take it from me. Up on the shore they work all day. Out in the sun they slave away. While we're devoting full time to floating...under the sea."

    By Blogger truax, at 8:09 AM  

  • That was Sebastian, you dork, Truax. But props for knowing the song.

    I agree, T-Mac. Good analogy. Besides, it's even worse for her: I mean, fish aren't as dangerous as people, and according to Hans Christian Anderson Eric just jilts her, anyway.

    By Blogger haylie, at 10:00 AM  

  • You know, you really just described my childhood up through about age 12 very accurately. I even had a giant stuffed dolphin, and you’ve seen the giant octopus that was painted on my wall. The main difference between Ariel and me is that I didn’t sneak off to go swimming at the beach without telling anyone…mainly because the beach was too far away and I didn’t drive yet. And my dad didn’t smash all my stuff, for which I am grateful.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:04 PM  

  • Haylie...just further proving my point I don't have a clue what I'm talking about...

    By Blogger truax, at 6:52 PM  

  • A. How do you remember so much about this movie?

    B. Sounds like good parenting - clear expectations and meaningful consequences.

    C. Why does Truax know lyrics?

    D. TURN!

    E. The Fat Tire was most excellent tonight.

    By Blogger magic, and with love from Sam,, at 9:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home