Cliff Gardner

Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Thomas McCloskey: The People's Blogger

So, here's the deal: I'm poor. Not like Oliver Twist poor, but pretty close to it. My best friend has become the 1:59 cell phone conversation, my worst enemy the 2:01 cell phone conversation, because I know those fuckers are billing me for the whole extra minute. Since my food stamp money has run out, and because I'm living at home, I don't qualify for them anymore, meaning that I have to buy my own Egg Nog (what do they put in the stuff, COCAINE? Because that would explain a lot). While my pay checks from Pacific are nice, between paying back my GDP-of Canada-sized-student-loans (the payments start this month), applying to law schools and fixing my car, I'm about as financially self-sufficient as an ugly stripper. The rest of my family isn't any better off since my sister still has two more years left in college. Christmas was officially cancelled last weekend. Seriously.

Enter: making money off of your blog. Blogspot has this adsense thing that would allow me to put adds on my blog and make money from them. It probably wouldn't be a lot of money, but hey, when your financial future is as bleek as Kevin Federline's rap album sales, every little bit helps. Lots of high profile bloggers do it, and for some, it is their only income. I'm not judging these folks; for them, it really makes sense. However, after careful consideration, I've decided to forgo giving Cliff Gardner corporate sponsorship for now. For me, blogging is the one part of my life that I want to shield from the stresses of my finances. The funny part is, I never thought of blogging as an art form until I knew I could turn down making money off of it in the name of preserving my artistic integrity.

2 Comments:

  • you are such a starving artist! Gosh, just take the corporate sponsorship and move on! Since I started researching blogs I'm all about ads and plan on figuring out how to best optimize the amount of linkage and money-making capacity out there. Heck, blogging could pay for school. Why scoff at it in the name of artistic intergrity. well... ok, now this just makes me sound like a blog slut. lol

    By Blogger Miss B, at 2:56 PM  

  • tom, you are a great man. i don't know if this will help, but...

    my boss, who is an ex-monk, ex-architect who designed the trans-America building in SF, now ecologist, who kissed Janis Joplin and worked with Buckminster Fuller and is otherwise amazing, said this to me, "Don't worry too much about money. These things have a way of working themselves out. Be happy and healthy and yourself, and money will find you."

    i find comfort in those words, i hope you do, too.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home