Cliff Gardner

Thursday, February 16, 2006

Proof!

Sir Anthony Hopkins is a much better actor than I am, and believe it or not, I have proof. See, when I was a sophomore at Willamette, my friend Kate McNally and I qualified a duo to nationals called “Proof” about a genius mathematician battling mental health problems and his equally brilliant daughter who looks after him. They made a movie based on the Pulitzer-Prize winning play and I just got around to watching it tonight. It was cool to already have most of the lines memorized before I watched the move, but at the same time, it did demonstrate how I really interpreted that play all wrong and that a career as an actor just isn’t in the cards. Few people ever have an Oscar-winning actor one-up them to illustrate that fact, however, so I guess I should be grateful. My advice? Keep an eye on this Anthony Hopkins kid, I think he's got a bright future ahead of him!

4 Comments:

  • you had every line memorized? so the movie's only ten minutes long?

    that's weird.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:23 AM  

  • Such a wonderful movie! Although as I sat in the theater watching it, I couldn't help but think how many speechies I knew that had done this script in some form or other.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:03 AM  

  • Thom, I judged you in that duo. You did a fantastic job, and you did NOT interpret it all wrong. Had you been trying to imititate another actor, that would have been LAME. Think about the different Hamlets! Was Kenneth Branagh WRONG becase he wasn't Olivier?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:25 AM  

  • My wife's boyfriend is Anthony Hopkins. Well, maybe boyfriend is the wrong word...he's more like her back-up, in case she gets tired of me.
    T-Mac is hot.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home