Cliff Gardner

Friday, August 25, 2006

We didn't start the fire...my laptop did, though

A few months back I had the battery on my laptop replaced and my friend Mark, the tech wiz, helped me do it. So, when Dell recalled over four million batteries because they can catch fire, I got a little nervous. It turns out that my battery is fine and wasn’t recalled, but the whole incident got me thinking: what would be the most inopportune moment for your laptop to start a fire?

--on a plane. Seriously, just picture it. One minute you’re ordering a V-8 and watching Rush Hour 2, the next your laptop explodes in your face.

--the night before an important paper is due. Imagine working on your thesis for months only to have your compy explode on the one yard line. Ouch.

--while you’re serving in Ukraine for the Peace Corps. I only mention this because for a while I wasn’t planning on bringing my laptop with me since I thought it would be more trouble than it’s worth. That was until pretty much every volunteer currently over there told everyone in my group to bring, for the love of God, their laptop. Apparently watching Family Guy episodes on laptops can really get you through those long, cold winter nights, not to mention the benefits they offer in lesson planning and grading. So yea, imagine my laptop exploding right before the end of a term, with all my grades saved in an excel file. I’m just saying.

Yup, I really dodged a bullet on this one.

6 Comments:

  • Yah, found out yesterday my batter WAS recalled by Dell. Beautiful, I leave Sunday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    By Blogger Laura, at 9:20 PM  

  • Joe McCarthy, Richard Nixon, Studebaker, television, North Korea, South Korea, Marilyn Monroe - Ryan started the fire!

    Yes, I was the first one out, and yes, I've heard "women and children first," but we do not employ children. We are not a sweatshop, thankfully. And, uh, women are equal in the workplace by law, so I let them out first, I have a lawsuit on my hands.

    By Blogger magic, and with love from Sam,, at 9:47 PM  

  • You're tempting fate...Even though I cleared it, you're tempting fate.

    By Blogger truax, at 10:01 PM  

  • I actually found a photo online of a laptop that had exploded that prompted the recall. I do think you missed one especially inopportune time for your laptop to explode...while it's on your lap. Ouch.

    By the way, when do you leave for Ukraine anyway?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:29 PM  

  • If it makes you feel any better, Apple had purchased some of those same batteries from Sony and now they have to recall like 1.4 million or something too.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:03 PM  

  • braggar :) -- my powerbook battery and hubby's have both been recalled....

    By Blogger Inside the Philosophy Factory, at 8:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home