Cliff Gardner

Monday, August 21, 2006

Let’s go science, LET’S GO! *Clap-Clap*

I for one am annoyed that real-life science hasn’t caught up with cinematic inventions. The best example of that is in the remake of “The Greatest Story Ever Told” known as “The Matrix,” where a technology exists that downloads knowledge directly into people’s brains almost instantaneously with just a flicker of their eyes. Think of it! No more struggling with Ukrainian, calligraphy or division! Booya, grandma!

There are other examples, too. I would love the time machine from “Back to the Future.” The prospect of going back to the second grade and punching Johnny Ott in the mouth for stealing my pudding cup once a week is temping, but I think I would just do what the crooked Biff Tannon did in the sequal and bet on the superbowl every year. Good news kids! Free College tuition!

Becoming the T-1000 from “Terminator 2” and getting the paper by stabbing it with a giant metal spear seems pretty cool to me, too. OH, and one of those jet-packs from “Minority Report” would be awesome. Cut to: honey, I’m going to clean the gutters—zoooom! OK, bad example.

What gets me is that it’s not that science can’t invent these things, but just that they’ve been preoccupied inventing the shower radio and a cooler looking iPod, both great inventions, but neither of which can get my ass into the flying car off the Jetsons.

4 Comments:

  • I think having a plug directly into my brain as a way to learn things would be really awesome...but it seems like it would take all of the fun out of knowing things that other people don't.

    What I want to know is when we get to start wearing the crazy outfits that they wear in some of these sci-fi movies. This is what we have to look forward to:

    5th Element
    Blade Runner
    Aelita, Queen of Mars

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:04 PM  

  • I want a robot with the exact personality of C-3PO so I can entertain myself by making him all exasperated. No exasperated like the stuffy british robot exasperated.

    By Blogger haylie, at 4:38 PM  

  • I agree with that science technology needs advances....seriously. We are way behind what we promised we were going to be at by 1984.

    By Blogger truax, at 9:12 PM  

  • Just think how much more interesting inform rounds would be if you were in charge of scientific developments. It would be amazing.

    By Blogger magic, and with love from Sam,, at 9:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home