Cliff Gardner

Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Baseball politics

I just finished Moneyball and it was really good. Dre summarizes it really well here so I won’t dwell on the plot, except to say that it boggles my mind how so many people can be so bad at their jobs without more folks seriously calling them out on it. Moreover, I’ll never understand how someone can cling to archaic, stupid and ultimately harmful ideas even after being confronted with overwhelming evidence that they’re wrong.

Speaking of which, Focus on the Family was recently in the news. It seems that the/my Atlanta Braves (not exactly the efficient baseball club Billy Bean dreams of in Moneyball, but still, they’re getting there) recently sponsored a “Faith Day” religious event. Unbeknownst to top level event organizers, Focus on the Family was a co-sponsor. When Braves higher-ups learned about this, the hateful group was removed from the two planned Faith Day events, for obvious reasons. Now, I’m not entirely sure what business the Braves have in conducting spiritual outreach to begin with, but I appreciate that as long as they’re doing it, they’re making a point (albeit a belated one) to exclude religious dogma that is so incredibly hateful and wrong.

4 Comments:

  • Right on! Just imagine being so close to Colorado Springs!
    --Mandy

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:34 PM  

  • hmm that is interesting. I would be interested in the turn out that was there and if there was any negative feedback.

    (Side note, how did you like money ball? Matt just finished reading it and seemed to LOVE it!)

    By Blogger Kourtney, at 5:42 PM  

  • Faith Days were in the news the other day... they started a few years ago in the minor leagues as a way to get people to actually come to games. They were such a hit, and drew the biggest crowds, that the major league counterparts decided to start doing them as well. Personally, I think it's pretty ridiculous that the only way to draw a huge game at a minor or major league game is to make it faith-related!

    Speaking of which... did you want to go to the Saturday night baseball game or the Friday night soccer game?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:50 AM  

  • I liked Money Ball, I woulda liked Billy Beane, but Paul DePodesta was not good for me Dodgers.

    By Blogger Vigilante, at 11:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home