Cliff Gardner

Saturday, August 19, 2006

Hatemail!

I have this theory that you’re only someone important in the blogging world and in general when people start hating you enough to send you a letter solely on the basis of their disgust for you. Heather Armstrong over at Dooce gets lots and lots of angry e-mails, and Ian over at BL gets people who attack him in his comments. To me, that just means that they’re smart enough to do something worthy of angry, public disagreement. To quote Macintosh off of West Wing, “if they’re shooting at you, you know you’re doing something right.” I would take that a step further, though, and say that how hilarious you respond to hatemail matters too. Much like John Stewart and Steven Colbert responded to Geraldo Rivera and Bill O’Reilly, if you take the remarks of stupid, angry people and turn them into something hilarious, so much the better!

5 Comments:

  • I'm going to go ahead and agree with you wholeheartedly :-D You know the saying, the only women who make history are those that don't behave. That's the jist anyway!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:56 PM  

  • Would you like hate mail? I know some people who know some people and it can be arranged. Alls I'm sayin'.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:27 PM  

  • Great idea - I need to start sending some hate mail. I think I'll start with The Gap, because I hate their new return policy (no receipt = a store credit sent in the mail).

    By Blogger magic, and with love from Sam,, at 10:15 PM  

  • Always take it seriously. You never know when it might actually bite you in the ass.

    By Blogger truax, at 3:41 PM  

  • I got hate mail once when some guy broke up with me and I wasn't upset. Does that make me important in the dating community?

    By Blogger haylie, at 4:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home