Cliff Gardner

Tuesday, September 26, 2006

All my bags are packed, I'm ready to go….

I leave on Wednesday morning and it occurred to me that I still haven't told anyone how to get in touch with me while I'm over there. First, I should say that I will try very hard to update CG as much as possible but it might not be very feasible for a while and when I do update it might not be very funny—I'll do my best. Internet access varies greatly in Ukraine so there's really no way for me to know how frequently I'll have access to e-mail either, but feel free to drop me a line at my new address, tmcclosk@gmail.com

OK, here's the deal with regular mail—don't send anything valuable because it might not get to me. However, if you insist, I suggest Meest because apparently they're very good about that sort of thing. Really, I don't need anything. Letters are good, though—I like letters and they will probably get to me safely. For the first twelve weeks I will be a trainee living with a host family, and during that time mail can be sent to the address below. In late December I'll move to my permanent site and while mail will still get to me through the PC headquarters, it will reach me must faster if sent to my site directly, so I'll update when I know more about where I'll be.

Thomas McCloskey-PCT
C/O Peace Corps/Ukraine
PO Box 298
01030
Kyiv, Ukraine

I'll leave you with two quotations about the Peace Corps. The first is from The Great Adventure: "David Crozier lost his life in an air accident while serving as a Peace Corps Volunteer in Columbia. In a sadly prophetic letter to his parents, he said, 'should it come to it, I would rather give my life trying to help someone than to give my life looking down a gun barrel at him.'" My sentiments exactly. The second is from a current Peace Corps Volunteer serving in Ukraine: "The Peace Corps isn't for everyone…just the sexy people."

I love you all! HUGS! :-)

Thomas--

21 Comments:

  • Thomas:

    Two of my friends both had posts in Bloglines, right next to each other, about this. Crazy, eh?

    I'm proud of you. you're doing a brave, difficult, crazy, principled, inspired, insane, life-changing thing. It shows the quality of your character and there's just no other way to say it; I'm proud of you.

    By Blogger Dr. X, at 5:24 AM  

  • May I suggest listening to the song "Bruised" by Jack's Mannequin in the next 24 hours. It's a good soundtrack for walking away from everything.

    Good luck, man.

    Update as much as possible.

    By Blogger Cptn. Backfire, at 7:23 AM  

  • I'm sure that the people whose lives you touch in Ukraine will appreciate you as much as those of us that you impact in the Grove and beyond. You're awesome!

    By Blogger magic, and with love from Sam,, at 7:41 AM  

  • Good luck, Thomas! What you're doing is pretty durned amazing, and I hope it is an awesome, fulfilling experience for you.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:18 AM  

  • GOOD LUCK THOMAS!!!! I am sure it is going to be a GREAT experience....just give yourself some time to adjust to the situation. I wish I didn't have to work tomorrow or I would come out to the airport to hang out during your lay over...My city welcomes you, even if it is only for a few hours!

    Take care!

    By Blogger Kourtney, at 8:36 AM  

  • I'll just echo what everyone else here has already said:

    "Good luck"

    "You'll do great things"

    "We are all proud of you"

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:46 AM  

  • I know it is scary leaving but I know that it will be rewarding. When it gets hard just try to get wraped up in the moment instead of worrying about what is going on at home, that always helped me when I was traveling and missing people. I used to sing the song from Finding Nemo "just keep swiming, swiming, swiming" to myself sometimes and it would make me laugh. I am not saying you have to, but its an idea. I will be thinking about you a lot and sending you good thoughts all the way across the world.

    Stay warm, remember moonshine is always the way to do that. :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:35 AM  

  • Thomas, good luck with your job in Ukraine! You are going to do some wonderful things.

    By Blogger Amy, at 12:06 PM  

  • I was planning to send you care packages full of pennies, broccoli, diamonds, and all that other stuff I know you love so much. But I guess I won't now that you've warned me.

    GOOD LUCK!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:52 PM  

  • Good luck! Take your best attitude and go with the idea that you are doing the big kind of good for the world.

    By Blogger Inside the Philosophy Factory, at 7:05 PM  

  • You're going to do great things while you over there. Keep your head down...nose to the grindstone. Everything else will work itself out.

    GAME ON!

    By Blogger truax, at 8:30 PM  

  • Rock on, Thomas. You're going to be fabulous. After twelve other posts, it sounds trite and insincere, but I really mean it. You'll be great.

    By Blogger haylie, at 7:08 AM  

  • Good luck with everything. Thank you so much for all of your caring words! :) I hope you have a GREAT time and a wonderful experience.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:47 AM  

  • Good luck big man.

    By Blogger Matt, at 1:44 PM  

  • Tom:

    Best of luck. I know you'll do great things there. Someone you should get in touch with is a former debater from UPS who just completed a jaunt in the Peace Corps outside of Kiev. Matter of fact, she just married a guy from there and is going to school in (I think) Hungary. I don't have her e-mail off hand, but her blog is at http://tartara623.blogspot.com. Her name is Jenn. Her and I go back to high school debate in Montana. I'm sure she'd love to give you some pointers.

    Best of luck,

    Clark

    By Blogger Your Friendly Neighborhood Clark Bar, at 9:22 AM  

  • Thomas! Have you fallen off the face of the earth in Ukraine!?! Nothing in such a long time! How is everything there? Are you enjoying yourself? I'm sure many, many people would enjoy hearing an update about your adventures in Ukraine. myself included. so what's up?

    By Blogger Miss B, at 7:05 PM  

  • The Ukranian cold ate him.

    Seriously, I think it'd eat me too. I can't imagine living in that kind of cold.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:43 AM  

  • Seems like a lot of fun!! Alcohawk. http://smartbreathalyzer.com

    By Blogger abhinavwizkid, at 10:41 PM  

  • the new ABI is very good. breathalyzers.

    By Blogger abhinavwizkid, at 2:12 AM  

  • By Blogger abhinavwizkid, at 2:13 AM  

  • Public drunkness is a nuisance and we should come up with better ways to tackle them. breathalyzer test.

    By Blogger abhinavwizkid, at 2:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home