Cliff Gardner

Sunday, September 24, 2006

One part serious, one part funny

Liz and I went to the beach yesterday afternoon and we got back today. It was the last time we will see each other before I leave. We had a great time and pictures will be up on facebook tomorrow afternoon, right after I pack and meet with the Pacific debaters one last time before I abandon them completely. I don’t want to complain about this any more than I already have, so all I’ll say beyond that is this whole “leaving everyone you love” thing is pretty hard. I know these sacrifices are worth it and that joining the Peace Corps is absolutely what I should do. I’m also fairly confident that I’ll look back on my time in the PC as one of the best experiences of my life and as something that changed and defined who I am. However, at the moment, I’m just kinda sad that I’m leaving everyone on Wednesday morning and that I’ll be 5,000 miles away in a week.

OK, here’s the funny part of this entry. Anyone who has driven through rural Oregon knows what I mean when I say that the road signs alone are worth the trip. Lots of yokels live out on the stretches of highways between places people go to on purpose, and many of them have backyards the size of Cleveland and in those backyards, many post signs trumpeting their views on the United Nations, gay marriage, and the Oregon Department of Transportation, among other things folks get worked up about outside of NASCAR season. However, my favorite sign on this particular trip wasn’t in a backyard at all—it was on one of those “adopt a road” signs. Apparently, a particular stretch of Highway 6 on the way to the coast has been adopted by the “Rent a Wife Cleaning Service.” I’m pretty sure that if that company could put on some shoes and waddle out of the kitchen long enough to pop out a few kids and print some business cards, they would read “Rent a Wife Cleaning Service: Knee-Capping Gender Roles Since the Mesozoic Era.”

13 Comments:

  • I guess someone wanted to make a business out of what they thought the gender roles were supposed to be. The man is not supposed to be in the picture, and the woman is doing all the work. I'm personally confused by this...but that's nothing new...

    By Blogger truax, at 11:52 PM  

  • I've actually heard of that company... I think it's a front for a drug firm or brothel or something.


    Perhaps not, though.

    By Blogger haylie, at 7:43 AM  

  • Nice. I'm with you on driving through those parts of Oregon. We have a lot of those in Missouri...the places that you only go to on your way to some other destination. (not to huge on Oregon geography)...but (as I recall) we drove through a few of those places on between Portland and Lincoln Beach.

    Thanks for the congrats on this weekend. 6-0 dropping to Washburns in Octs ain't exactly a lot to be proud of...let me tell ya. But we'll deal.

    Sucks that you have to leave on Wed...but you'll stil keep blogging, right?
    -Kyle

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:42 AM  

  • I like the freaky statues along the Hillsboro-Beaverton stretch of TV Highway:
    - large rabbit (15 ft?) at a boat/marine place
    - bears golfing outside of a restaurant
    - hamburger family by Hillsboro pool

    By Blogger magic, and with love from Sam,, at 10:52 AM  

  • Thomas, what you're doing in the Peace Corps is one of the most selfless, admirable acts I've ever seen someone do. I know it seems like you're leaving behind all of these certainties, and its probably true to an extent, but it will come back tenfold for you sometime in the future. I'm confident of it. Good luck, big guy.

    By Blogger Matt, at 3:37 PM  

  • Sometimes doing the right thing is also hard -- because it is a challenge.

    Take care and keep in touch....

    By Blogger Inside the Philosophy Factory, at 9:45 PM  

  • Alcohawk is a good way to keep DUI under check. Good product. alcohawk http://smartbreatalyzer.com

    By Blogger abhinavwizkid, at 12:33 AM  

  • Alcohawk is a good way to keep DUI under check. Good product. alcohawk breathalyzer

    By Blogger abhinavwizkid, at 2:27 AM  

  • Public drunkness is a nuisance and we should come up with better ways to tackle them. breathalyzer test.

    By Blogger abhinavwizkid, at 2:27 AM  

  • By Blogger abhinavwizkid, at 2:27 AM  

  • the new ABI is very good. breathalyzers.

    By Blogger abhinavwizkid, at 2:28 AM  

  • the new ABI is very good. breathalyzers.

    By Blogger abhinavwizkid, at 2:28 AM  

  • use of semiconductor sensor is amazing.. alcohol tester

    By Blogger abhinavwizkid, at 2:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home