Cliff Gardner

Friday, September 22, 2006

I'm rooting for Finn, too!

The season premiere of Grey’s Anatomy was last night and it was really good. It had the guy who played Eugene on The Practice, some emotional and witty commentary about death and the Jewish Faith, and even the plague. Once again, GA proved why it is one of the best shows on television.

In spite of that, I can’t help but feel annoyed after watching it. George has officially replaced McJackass as the most frustrating character on the show. He has Callie, a kind, generous, talented, SMOKING HOT woman who manages to care deeply for him despite his repeated efforts to keep her at arms length.

That alone isn’t anything really new to the show. Burke and the bartender aside, every male character on GA is to some degree emotionally abusive to their significant other. However, George adds another dynamic that really bothers me. In last night’s episode, he mentioned how, given time, he might one day fall in love with Callie, as if there’s some magical line that he could eventually cross that will cure his hang-ups.

George is acting like he has no control over who he loves and that idea just bothers me because I honestly believe love is a choice. You can choose to love someone. People can decide to dedicate themselves to someone whom they’ve determined is a good person who is right for them and who has made the same assessment about them. Saying “I might one day love her” is a cop-out. It’s a way for George to not make tough choices and confront his own issues. Some people just won’t let themselves be happy and George is a model for that.

I want to grab George by the shoulders and shake the hell out of him, shouting "LOOK--Meredith is gone. You're not even in the running anymore and truthfully you never were. Callie loves you and she's awesome. The woman is your high water relationship, man. Just be happy!"

5 Comments:

  • I was sorta let down by the first ep. I was soooo excited for it that I think it could not have lived up to the hype. I did not like the "plague" that they created and then did NOTHING with other than lock up Eugine and McDreamy and George.

    I did think that there were some great lines in there and, as usual, great music. I am cheering for Fin just b/c that is the safe thing to do but sometimes you don't want safe. HOWEVER, when McDreamy said that Grey had a choice to make I was annoyed b/c SO DOES HE...until he leaves his wife he has that same choice and he has not proven to me that he actualy made a choice! All is all, I say "welcome back Grey's Anatomy!"

    By Blogger Kourtney, at 6:26 PM  

  • Hey,

    I had to change my blog address! Thanks for the update on Grey's, soon you will be leaving and living abraod and won't have the fabulous experience of watching Greys! Are you so excited to leave? I welcome you to live in Europe!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:56 AM  

  • Holy COW, T-Mac. I know you were talking about George, or whatever, but you just TOTALLY put me in my place. Cheers, mate.

    By Blogger haylie, at 5:07 AM  

  • I found the plague scare to be really contrived actually. It seemed kind of forced.

    Everything else was okay, I liked that they had some flashback to Addison and Dereks break up.

    I think George is right in his actions towards Callie. I mean, it would be more abusive to say 'I love you' when you don't mean it. And he is very clear with Callie about where he stands, so he isn't hiding from her where he is at in the relationship yet. You can't make people fall in love - and although you can choose who you love to some extent, you don't want to assume you'll make that choice before you committ to it.

    I do think we should start a 'we want Fin' club.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:08 AM  

  • I agree with what you are saying that love is a choice but I feel like that is what George is doing with Callie. You don't fall in love with someone over night but you do choose to be with them and by staying with them you make love an option. Instead of this emotion that you have to just "feel" George is open to the possibility of loving her even if he doesn't feel it right now. That I believe is admirable and really normal.

    Also, I don't care what anyone says, McDreamy 4 lyfe.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home