Cliff Gardner

Saturday, April 28, 2007

Burrrr, it's cold in here! There must be some PCV's in the atmosphere!

My landlady's husband, a really kind man named Anatoli, came by a few days ago to check the gas and electric meters...and turn off my heat. Apparently in Ukraine people are only allowed to use the heat in their apartments until mid-April. Entire towns often turn off the heat to save, I don't know, money, presumably--this happened to Jessica and she's freezing her butt off as I type this. I thought I had found a loophole in this system because my apartment has a gas heater that's not connected to the rest of the building. I turned it on when I moved in and haven't turned it off since. So, when Anatoli came by, we had the following conversation:

A: He nada gaza, ya budu sakrite. (You don't need gas, I will close it) *turns off heater and wraps a bag around the exhaust pipe on my balcony*

Me: Chas, adna minuta. Esle Ya holadna, moshna Ya otkrit gaza? (Wait, one minute. If I'm cold, may I open the gas?)

A: Eta Besna, ochen teplo! (It's Spring, very warm!)

Me: Da, no...ya malinki, y inagda ya holadna. Pajalusta?! (Yes, but...I'm little, and sometimes I'm cold. Please?!)

A: *laughs kindly* Izvinite, neit. Nichivo, Tomac. Smotrete--seychas, 20! (Sorry, no. It's nothing, Thomas. Look--now, it's 70 degrees!)

Me: Ladna...spaseeba. (Ok...thanks.)

It's really not that bad, to be honest--my site is really warm and it's actually getting more and more hot every day. I even rolled up the sleeves of my dress shirt while I was teaching for the first time yesterday. :-)

4 Comments:

  • I love the "laugh kindly before I shut you down" move. It's one of favorites.

    I guess this means that you officially survived winter. Congrats!

    By Blogger magic, and with love from Sam,, at 1:51 PM  

  • I love your tales! Question: are you learning Russian as you go along there, or did you study some in college? I'm freakin' impressed!

    By Blogger Auntie Dani, at 12:08 AM  

  • What?!?! It's not cold anymore? I have no reason to be glad and I here and not there. *cry*

    By Blogger T-Funny, at 1:35 AM  

  • Hello. And Bye.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home