Cliff Gardner

Tuesday, May 09, 2006

The mortality of cats

Dad: You know that cat from the neighborhood that’s always hanging around?

Me: Yea, I see it all the time.

Dad: Well it’s dead. I found in lying next to my truck this morning.

Me: Oh God, you didn’t run it over did you?

Dad
: No, I don’t think so. I’m gonna go bury it in the backyard.

Me: Wait, aren’t you going to at least attempt to find the owner?

Dad: No, what for?

Me: Because this isn’t some fucked up civil war where family members disappear and are never heard from again, that’s why! Some poor kid is going to forever wonder what happened to fluffy...put a sign up on the corner or something.

Dad: Uh, no. Sorry, no.

8 Comments:

  • When I was little, a guy ran over Blanca (our cat) and was in front of our house so he came down to ask if it was ours and it was and dad had to go get the cat out of the street (keeping in mind the gravel road in the country I live on) with a shovel and then bury it in the yard deep enough that the dogs wouldn't smell it and dig it up and Zach was crying and mom was consoling him and all I wanted was to get to help bury her. Dad wouldn't let me.

    Long story no shorter: your dad owed it to that child who wanted to bury the cat in his or her own yard to say he found the cat.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:58 PM  

  • you could put up the sign. assuming a few things of course. you are a literate person with access to pens, right? :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:35 PM  

  • and paper.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:36 PM  

  • I agree -- a sign should go up -- of course, the problem is what to say on the sign..

    "We found your dead cat, come get it..." doesn't quite do the trick... and "found, one tabby, looks like a nice cat" sets the owners up for heartbreak when they come to claim a dead cat.

    At a minimum, call around to local vet's offices and animal shelters. When my extra-toed cat went on his little romp a while back I called them all to let them know that if someone brought in a stray, he wasn't really a stray. They might have owner's info on a list...

    By Blogger Inside the Philosophy Factory, at 5:06 AM  

  • this is one of the funniest moral dilemmas i've ever heard. i suggest asking tiffany for advice.

    By Blogger Ashley, at 11:47 AM  

  • I agree with dad. Dig a hole, push it in, cover it up. Like nothing ever happened.

    By Blogger truax, at 11:48 AM  

  • Although it would be tough to write a tactfull sign, I agree it should be done. Another option is walk to a few neighbors and ask in person. It might be more personal that way.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:28 PM  

  • haha

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home