Cliff Gardner

Thursday, August 03, 2006

This wrapper won't get shot or thrown in jail

I hate wrapping presents. A LOT. It doesn't make sense to me that the presentation of a gift matters even close to as much as the gift itself or, more importantly, the intention behind it in the first place. Consequently, I rarely wrap things. Although I frequently give gifts, they're usually just the gift, without a lot of style. Whatever, I'm sleeping fine tonight.

Case is point: I got my five year old niece Romina a birthday gift and mailed it to her today. It was a book about kindergarten and how wonderful school is, with big letters that she can sound out since she's learning to read, in case you were wondering. For some reason I felt obligated to wrap it, so I threw it in the middle of some newspaper and 30 seconds and a flurry of scotch tape later, I had wrapped it. Done and done. I’m guessing my niece won’t bother looking at this wrapping any longer than she does the superficial covering on her other gifts.

3 Comments:

  • She can use the wrap to read as well. Double the gift.

    By Blogger truax, at 8:59 PM  

  • hahaha --- you're exactly like my twin brother. His idea of "wrapping" a present involves more square feet of scotch tape than actual wrapping paper. A trick of his is to twist a long piece of tape a few times --- instant twine (for making the lumpy things "less lumpy"). It must be a boy thing.

    By Blogger Anna, at 10:17 PM  

  • I'm a big fan of gift bags for that reason.

    Also, you can make/buy fabric ones now, so that when you give them away the next person can re-use them.

    Its easier than wrapping AND eco friendly!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home