Cliff Gardner

Monday, January 22, 2007

Home remedies

I've noticed that home remedies are very common for various illnesses in Ukraine. For example, my host father wrapped chicken wire around his head when he had a headache. The conversation we had went something like this:

Me: Shto eta?! (What's this?!)
Host dad: Moy golova bolete. (My head hurts)
Me: Isvinite. Tak...ya ne panimayu. Pachimu eta? (I'm sorry...so, I don't understand. Why this?)
Him: MOY GOLOVA BOLETE. (My head hurts)
Me: Ya panimayu...ti hochish tabletka? (I understand. Do you want a pill?)
Him: Niet spaciba. Mhe nada spat. (No thanks, I need sleep.)
Me: Horasho. Spakoyna noche. (Good, good night!)

My host mom also wrapped a towel around her throat when she had a sore throat, but I was able to convince her to A) take the medicine I offered her and B) go to the doctor because she clearly needed it, all in Russian. So, it's safe to say that my language skills are coming along. In related news, I've been able to explain things to my sixth graders (who are really really adorably cute) in Russian when they don't get what I'm saying in English, which is about right--I speak Russian like a sixth grader. You know, one who shaves and reads the Constitution of the United States for fun. Woohooo takings clause!
:-)

Oh, and I moved into my new apartment last weekend and it's great! It even has a shower, although there is a catch--to make the water hotter or colder, I need to mess with a little dial on the gas heater IN THE KITCHEN, meaning that I have to, you know, get out of the shower and go do that. My first shower involved about half a dozen trips into the kitchen, but I eventually got the hang of it. This is probably a good time to mention that my kitchen window doesn't have any curtains. I guess that's one way to get to know my neighbors. :-)

I love and miss you all!

8 Comments:

  • We're hosting our college tournament this weekend. I will bring chicken wire to cure the inevitable headache I will get. OR, I'll just take Tylenol PM several times during the day.

    By Blogger magic, and with love from Sam,, at 12:24 PM  

  • What I wouldn't pay to move across the street from you.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:20 PM  

  • Sounds like an amazing experience... I'm sure your 6th graders will never forget you!

    By Blogger Inside the Philosophy Factory, at 9:51 PM  

  • You know, I can't believe you managed to pack the constitution. if only because packing if really hard when you move in and out of foriegn countries. You really have to set your priorities straight.

    For me? I left 2 pairs of jeans, 1 pair of shoes, 2 shirts, and a sweater so i could fit the 70 pirated movies I bought into my luggage. It's all about priorities.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:31 AM  

  • Gives new meaning to someone go giggle the handle.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:47 AM  

  • i miss you like a broken foot

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:36 PM  

  • No remedies here! I am sick now, after two kids and the mom within a week and no one went to the doctor or did anything about it.

    Chicken wire though, that's a new one :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:10 PM  

  • Hey, just wanted to let you know that I am still reading and that I am glad things are going well in Ukraine, even if I don't comment all that often, I am definitely still following what's going on!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home