Cliff Gardner

Friday, September 01, 2006

I've got to learn to not take these things so seriously

Team USA is out at the World Basketball Championships. Cheering for Team USA in World Basketball competitions is like being a Democrat in American politics nowadays. I know we're better, or at least in theory that we should be better, but we keep losing to inferior people (seriously, name ONE player on the Greek team).

Honestly, I take these losses harder than most people. This year in particular, I bought into the hype that we were a better team than the one that blew up in Athens. I even stayed up late over and over again to watch our games as they were played in Japan. Watching us lose at the one sport we're really supposed to be the best in the world at, again, is like convincing yourself that Santa Claus is real only to be reminded on the cold hard truth, over and over again.

The saddest part is that I know I'm going to do the same thing for the Olympics in 2008. I'm already making excuses for why we lost this game. Seriously, though, with Kobe, Redd and a few more years to play together, we'll be fine. SEE! I'm already doing it! Excuse me while I go set out some milk and cookies for Santa--he's flying to Beijing soon!

3 Comments:

  • See, I have a hard time caring about these international events. It's different in soccer, where we aren't acknowledged as the world's most dominant force, but in hoops (and to a lesser extent baseball), I don't care who wins the World Championship or the Olympics, their players all want into the NBA. That's how I justify it anyway.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:55 AM  

  • OK - sports - yeah.
    I don't watch sports, but I'm glad we got to play a sport today. You run fast.

    By Blogger magic, and with love from Sam,, at 10:13 PM  

  • You make the best point in your first paragraph. It's hard to swallow that the best and brightest keep getting pushed aside and beat out by below average individuals and teams.

    By Blogger truax, at 12:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home